Thursday, July 8, 2010

Let the Countdown Begin...

It's official.  I've told work, and just about everyone else I know, and in two short months, I'll be packing up the Subaru and heading to Chicago.  I intended to start a blog months ago, but kept coming up with reasons to put it off.  "No one at work knows," I'd say, or "what could I possibly have to say right now?"  But now, all excuses aside, it's time to begin.

When thinking about what to write in this first post, I couldn't decide (yet another reason to put off the first post).  Should it be an introduction?  I'm not sure I want to "begin at the beginning."  A mission statement?  Could be too cliche.  Or should I start in the middle and hope that you catch up?

In addition to getting in the habit of writing something regularly that other people will read, I want to get a chance to explore some of the ideas I have about the future of journalism and my future in it.  I hope that I can interact with my readers, as most of you will be friends.  For four years of work, and four years before that, I have been trained to have no opinion whatsoever.  More than anything else, I want to use this blog to develop some ideas I have and to work on expressing those ideas succinctly and persuasively.

I think it's good to set out what I hope to accomplish.  I think its also good to let people know what I'm up to.  And I hope it's good to read in the coming months and years where ever this next great adventure may take me.

No comments:

Post a Comment